Thursday, December 06, 2012

Day 6 - Where you live.


My Street, Early on a  Fall Morning
This is the street we live on. I love the view of it when I turn into our neighborhood. The sun rises at the end of it. It's the prettiest in the late Spring when the flowers are blooming and the world is green again.

I grew up in this neighborhood. We moved here when my dad and Jan got married in 1986. My sister and I used to spend weekends playing with my cousins in this neighborhood. Our sometimes-babysitter lived up the street. I spent several summers babysitting the little girls who lived behind us. My dad and his siblings grew up in this neighborhood, too. A lot of the people who lived here then still live here now.

It's in walking distance to the park, the elementary school, high school football field, and really, to everything in downtown Montevallo. Before we could drive, Rebecca and I used to walk or ride our bikes to the library or Subway or Serendipity (to spend my gift certificates on books!). We could walk to church now if we could get our show on the road early enough. Strolling around the neighborhood on a summer evening is like a mini-social hour. You can't do it if you are in a hurry because you have to stop and talk to everyone. Kids still play outside here. The neighbors keep up with each other and help when help is needed. I love our neighborhood.

Dave and I moved back here to start our family in 2006. Ella and Luke spend lots of their weekends playing with cousins because my cousins also moved back here. We live within a mile of both sets of my parents, two sets of cousins, and one of my aunts and uncles. I love that my kids are experiencing some of the things I did as a kid. I hope that we get to stay here so that the house they came home to from the hospital is the house they come home to for the holidays when they are grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment