Monday, December 03, 2012

Day 3 - Something you held.

It's been a while, but this is something I held.  
Sweet Georgia Brown

Eight years ago, she looked like this.

It's hard to remember her at this size.
I held her all the way home from the breeder's house. She was nervous and shaking, she even peed on my leg, and it seemed like the longest ride ever. That was before I knew what I know now - about how many Labs need rescuing from shelters and about long car rides. She was my kid before I had skin kids, and though our pack order changed when Ella was born, I still love her like she's my kid. When she's hurt, I worry. When she drops her ball on my foot over and over again in her version of "Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom!", I'm annoyed. When she cuddles up to me and snorts, I cuddle her back. When I forget to check her water bowl and she lets me know it's dry, I feel so guilty. When she looks at me with soulful eyes, my heart breaks just a little for what I know is in her future.

Though we've entertained the idea of adding another dog to the family in the past, we realized early that she is a one-dog dog and respected that. She has such a submissive personality that living with another dog would be too stressful for her, but that submissiveness makes her perfect for little kids. There won't be another dog in our house until she's gone.

She's a good dog; she's my dog, and I held her when she was a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment