Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day 18 - Makes you feel merry.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra






Nothing makes me feel merrier during the holiday season than electric guitar mixed up with my Christmas carols. 

I've been a Trans-Siberian Orchestra fan for a long time, and, unsatisfied with the frequency that Birmingham's Christmas Station plays their music, I've owned their CDs (yes, people still use CDs) for a few years. Except for the occasional request from Ella to listen to Wizards of Winter in the middle of the summer, I limit myself to listening to them during the holiday season. Until this year, I had never seen them live and I've been really, really wanting to.

In an act of redemption for the Great Garbage Can Debacle of 2010, and also as an act of love, Dave gave me tickets for my birthday this year. It was amazing. Feeling the music vibrating through the soles of my feet and straight to the middle of my chest made me giddy with the love of it.

I've always loved loud music, and I find that I turn to the loudest of music when my heart and mind need scrubbing. Somehow the drums and the guitars help me process the chaos and ugliness that gets caught up there so that I can let it go. I think that's why I love TSO so much. It's loud enough to chase away the end-of-year soul mold while also celebrating a season that I find refreshing.

You can keep your Jingle Bell Rock, just give me O Come All Ye Faithful on the the electric guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment