Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Mommy Mule

Somehow, during Ella's infancy, Dave started calling me The Mommy Mule. I tried to be offended about it because it hardly seemed fair that he got the cool name of Knee Donkey, but I had to be a mule. Then I started thinking about all the crap I haul around all the time and decided it pretty much fits. Thus, when Dave came home last night and found us like this in the kitchen, he greeted us with reference to The Mommy Mule.
Luker Man has been skipping his late afternoon power nap lately because he's too busy learning to crawl/walk/crawl/we really don't know which he will do first. At any rate, skipping that power nap makes him one fussy baby in the evenings. Last night I decided, instead of listening to him fuss as I rushed around trying to do all the things and comfort him while the overall stress level of the whole house rose, I would tie him on in a back carry. 

I believe Ella was a few months older when I started wearing her on my back, but I've been thinking Luke might be long enough and strong enough for it to work, so we gave it a try. He wiggled and bounced for the first few minutes, and then settled down when he realized he could reach all sorts of new things while I worked. Then we needed to include Ella in the picture taking.
Putting him on my back was a very good idea, because he finally got that power nap. He slept for about twenty minutes while I finished making supper. 
I tried to lay him down without waking him. That didn't happen, but he did wake up happy and ready to gobble bites of chicken finger and sips of juice. He made it happily through bath time and slept better last night than he has in the past few (sleep begets sleep, you know).

Here's to babywearing for making a would-be hectic evening calm and relaxing. I think I've mentioned before that I love my Babyhawk carrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment