Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fundraising

I already know that I'm the kind of parent who is more likely to make a donation to the school than peddle the wares all around the neighborhood to raise money (for many reasons which I will not discuss at this time because that's not the point of this post). I also know that should an opportunity arise where the kids feel strongly about the cause for which money is being raised, they will be primarily responsible for raising the money (i.e. it will be their decisions whether they peddle the wares, and I hope they make them for better reasons than winning the prizes). I recognize the value of teaching my kids about raising money and giving money for good causes. As with most everything I want to teach them, I know that I need to start now.

We already model giving in a variety of ways. Ella has seen us tithe when she joins us in church for "big music" and she has even insisted on putting money in the offering plate herself. She understands that when her clothes do not fit her anymore, we pack them up and give them to someone else who needs clothes. She already has a very generous spirit, offering to share her imaginary whatever we have run out of and need to buy at the grocery store this week.

Her preschool has presented us with a great opportunity to talk about raising and giving money. When I first heard they were doing a trike-a-thon, my initial reaction was not to be bothered with fundraising. Then I learned that they are raising money for St. Judes Children's Hospital - a cause that has always touched my heart. I decided that we will partcipate in more than just the trike riding part.

Last night, I set about explaining the trike-a-thon and that we are going to raise money to help kids that are very sick and have to be in the hospital a long time. Understanding the way she works, I expected her reaction. She had three concerns, in this order.
1. "I don't want them to ride my tricycle." -  "Them" being her friends at school, and I explained that everyone will have their own tricycle and helmet.
2. "I'm not going to be sick?" - I explained that these kids aren't sick with an ear infection or a tummy ache, they are very, very sick and they have to stay at the hospital for a long time to get medicine in their IVs.
3. "I don't have any money! I used all my money in my piggy banks!" - I told her that she just needs to think about it a little and maybe we can ask some people if they want to give money to help the sick kids.

Later in the evening, she told me that Cinderella, who has been substitute teaching her students, is sick so Ariel has to teach the babies. And, she told me that she has some money to give for Cinderella because she is very sick. So, I think we are on the right track. If you live nearby and have enough regular interaction with Ella that she will actually talk to you (they are few and far between), don't be surprised if you are asked for money for the sick kids.

On that note, if you are asked or you are reading this post as the solicitation it's about to become, please do not feel obligated to give money if you aren't moved to do so. I absolutely believe in giving, but I absolutely do not give to anything that doesn't move my heart and I don't expect anyone else to do so either.

If you would like to help Ella raise money or you just want to support St. Jude's, please contact me or visit her page to make a donation online at this link: EGR's Trike-a-thon Page. The Trike-a-thon is April 1st, so please donate buy that date if you feel so moved.

I will consider this a success if I can convince her to ask one person for money and if she will actually ride her tricycle at the Trike-a-thon next week!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:56 PM

    Rebecca and I gave and I think everyone else should too!

    ReplyDelete