Friday, May 02, 2008

I'm Doing Great!

At least that's what the doctor says. I gained 1.5 lbs this time (the smallest amount so far), my sugar levels were acceptable, I measured 30 cm (perfect for 30 weeks), and her heartbeat was strong and good. Yay!!

I feel so much better after talking to him about all of this. He told me that he is not treating me as high risk, and that as long as my sugar stays under control she will most likely be a normal-sized, healthy baby. He did say that he probably won't let me go past 39 weeks, but that will depend on my progress at the time. In the last month, they will really start monitoring the baby to make sure she isn't getting too big, but right now she's right on track. There is a less than 5% chance of me having to use insulin, so that was VERY encouraging. Most of the time when complications occur and the baby gets way too big, it's because the diabetes is undiagnosed or untreated. I feel very encouraged. I am to continue monitoring my sugar a couple of times a week and stay on the diet. Everyone, please pray for spontaneous labor, natural delivery, and a normal-sized baby in the mid-to-late June timeframe. :)

Because I feel so much better after talking to my doctor, people seem to be less stupid right now. (Isn't it amazing how our outlook affects how we perceive the world around us?) However, I did remember a story that I need to share. Last weekend I encountered one of those people who knows a whole lot about combining pets and babies. Upon discovering that I have cats - because she asked just so she could give me this helpful tip - this person told me, "You better go ahead and get rid of them now." Thinking I needed to hear this one because people know everything, I asked, "Why?" Her response: "I heard they smell the milk on the baby's breath." Umm. So?

I'll not be getting rid of any of my animals unless I see that there is a danger to the baby. I don't foresee there being any issues. Georgia will LOVE her as if she's her own (she may pout first, but she'll come around), Jewel will probably be all about her, and I'm just not sure about Gypsy. She's a big question mark, but I really see her hiding from the noise before she does anything else. She completely disappears when there are visitors at the house. As far as germs are concerned, they are all on flea and tick repellent and up-to-date on their vaccines. Studies have shown that raising babies with animals in the house decreases the chance of allergies because they build immunities to them from birth. They won't be left unattended with her, but I will not be keeping them separate either - as if I even could.

Sidenote - to my disappointment, Timothia was kicking the crap out of Gypsy the other night while she was lying on my belly, and Gypsy never moved. I so wanted to see her be startled by it. They all know she's in there. I have no doubt about that.

I'm so proud of myself because I've been walking regularly, 3 or 4 times a week. It just makes me feel better, sleep better, and keeps the swelling down. I'm keeping it up, but that doesn't mean I'm fast about it. Dave was prodding me along last night at the end of mile number 2 because I had fallen so far behind. He says to me: "I've got eighty pounds on you!" as he's trotting backward ahead of me with the dog. I said, "Oh? Are you carrying it all in the front? Is it bearing down on your bladder so that you waddle after taking three steps? Is it spreading your hips apart, straining your lower back, and making you think you cracked your tailbone?" I could go on. We have some variation of this conversation at least once a week, but without him I don't know if I'd keep up the walking. He makes it easier. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment