Friday, May 30, 2008

Major Pregnant Moment

I backed into a mail box last night. I was turning around at my mother's house so I could park on the street, and I backed into the neighbor's mail box. I didn't see it. I didn't see it because it never occurred to me to look behind me. (Thank the Good Lord that the dogs were inside, because I probably would have hit one of them.) Who backs up in a vehicle without looking in the rearview mirror? Apparently my 8 and 1/2 month pregnant-brained, exhausted self does. Dave got out to look at it and when I saw his face in the rearview mirror (Oh, the irony!), I knew it was bad. I got out and cried like a baby and blubbered something about "shouldn't even be allowed to drive" while apologizing to my husband for messing up my "new" car. WHY couldn't this have happened while I was still driving the Tercel? This is the first time in 12 years of driving that I have hit anything (hard enough to do damage, anyway). Today, it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did last night, but I'll have to get it fixed soon because it knocked a chunk of paint right off of the trunk and I don't want it to rust. I know it really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but in my hormonal and exhausted state, I'm having a hard time getting over it. I'm so mad and sad - and it's only my fault. : ( Oh well, I'll take it tomorrow to get an estimate and hopefully it can be fixed next week.

I had my 34 week appointment yesterday and it was pretty uneventful. I lost 1/2 pound in the last two weeks and he didn't comment on it at all. I'm still not sure how that happened given that attended two baby showers, a graduation party, and a Memorial Day barbeque in addition to keeping up a pace that didn't allow for the healthiest food choices. The baby measured at 34 weeks, so she is still right on track. My blood pressure was "great," but my fasting sugar level seems to be creeping up a bit. I'm hoping it's just because I haven't been eating, resting, or exercising well because of the crazy schedule I've been keeping recently. All of my social obligations are over now (I did this on purpose), so I plan to take it easy for the month of June. Well, aside from work, which has exploded in the last week while I'm trying to wrap things up and manage new tasks as they come in. I will start my weekly appointments next week, so we will find out Friday if I have dilated at all. I doubt it right now because she is still head up, but I guess anything is possible. I will also have to have a non-stress test (NST) every week to monitor the baby and make sure her heartrate and oxygen levels are staying normal while she's moving around in there. This is because of the diabetes. I know in my bones that she is fine and developing normally, and I am really resenting the diabetes diagnosis right now.

Because it makes me feel better, I'll share the latest bits of rudeness/ignorance I've heard. Last week we visited a car lot in Clanton because Dave has started shopping for a new car. When the salesman walked up, he said, "Are you expecting a baby?" All I could say was "Yeah." Believe me when I say that I am past the point of needing to ask to be sure. It is VERY obvious that I am pregnant, just listen to the next incident for proof. At another point over the weekend, a lady started a conversation with, "So, is your doctor worried because she's so big?" This came from a repeat offender, so probably rankled me more than it should have. WHY is it any of her business what my doctor thinks? I wish I had said, "No." Instead, I was nice and said, "Actually, she's measuring exactly where she's supposed to be, and no he hasn't expressed any concern." I would say that I can't wait to not be pregnant anymore so people will stop being rude/nosy/stupid, but I know it will just continue in a different manner when the world needs to tell me that I don't know anything about caring for babies and I'm doing it all wrong.

In our Bible study on Wednesday night, we talked about how our attitudes affect our outlook and perceptions. Obviously, my attitude is bad right now. I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment