Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Stretch Marks

I knew that I would have stretch marks from this pregancy because I already had some from going through puberty. The other night, I was displaying my belly to my parents and discussing that my belly button seems to be poking out as far as it can go and you can't see it through my clothes. My dad noticed that I only had stretch marks on my hips. I stupidly said that I hoped I wouldn't get any more (as I also have them a couple of other places), though I knew it was doubtful. Would you believe that the VERY NEXT DAY I found some more on the under belly? Oh well. Dave suggested a deep tan to disguise them next summer "since I don't have to worry about frying my ovaries now." I did mention that frying my ovaries isn't my only concern about going to a tanning bed, not that I'm okay with frying them any more now than I was before I was pregnant. I guess he's thinking they are disposable now that we have a baby on the way. Men.

My pregnancy calendar says this about me (from www.babyzone.com):

"As your baby's weight increases (she weighs over three pounds this week!) the strain on your body will be noticeable. Your lower back and hips ache, especially at the end of the day. A growing baby also means less room for your internal organs. You'll be taking more breaths to fill your scrunched lungs."

I concur with all of that. I think the scrunched lungs are what makes the walking more difficult these days. I remember from swimming class in college that when my muscles had a burning feeling while I was swimming, it was because I was holding my breath and my body was burning lactic acid. Now, even though I have very focused breathing while I'm walking, I get the burning feeling in my legs. Hmmm. As stupid as it sounds, walking and breathing takes quite a bit of focus these days. Good thing I'm not chewing gum, too. :) Seriously, though, when I have the dog on the leash, it makes the walk so much harder because she walks faster than I want to walk (which causes a wind cramp that is so much harder to get rid of with this belly!) and she distracts me. I'm also pretty sure I've been having Braxton-Hicks contractions during the walks. My lower belly gets really tight and uncomfortable, then releases - rinse and repeat until I get home and rest for a minute. Oh well, that isn't going to stop me from walking. Those are practice contractions, and if walking makes them happen, maybe it will also help the real ones happen when it's time so I don't have to worry about induction.

About the baby this week (also from www.babyzone.com):

"Your unborn baby's lungs continue to mature. . . . Her skin, which has been wrinkled, now becomes pink and smooth as fat cells fill out her body. . . Baby knows your voice. . . Your baby's fingernails have grown and she may even need a manicure after she's born. . . Your unborn baby weighs around three pounds, eight ounces and stretches to around 11.2 inches (crown to rump)."

I think it is finally sinking in for Dave that we will have an actual, real, live baby soon. He asked me if I thought he was ready for this. I said, "Yes, I know you are. I've been praying for God to prepare you for it since long before we decided to have a baby." He said, "If she is anywhere near as sweet as Georgia, I'm going to be fine." He's ready. Note: He compares the baby to the dog because he has no other frame of reference.

Yesterday morning, I went to hug him when I got up, like I always do. He immediately put his hands on my belly and asked if there were any baby parts sticking out. There were, and he found them right away. Then he complained because he hadn't felt the baby move in while. Apparently, he tried to feel her in the middle of the night and she was sleeping. I told him that she must party in the wee hours of the morning because she sleeps until I get to work and get settled in for the day. Then, she moves all day long. Oh, and she's even worse now about stopping when you put your hands on my belly. This kid is going to be a sassy one. Luckily, she had hiccups last night for the first time in a long time, so he got to feel that. :)

His latest commentary on my big belly: "There is no doubt you are pregnant. If we weren't married, we would have had to send to you away to the special school for girls about 10 weeks ago." Alrighty then.

No comments:

Post a Comment