Thursday, February 12, 2009

Super Duper Bathtub Pooper

In addition to her Mr. Miyagi impersonations, Ella G. enjoys a nice bathtub poop. The other night she was leaning over the side of her bath seat with a look of total concentration. Shortly thereafter, two perfectly round balls of poop floated out from behind her. This wasn't her first tub poop. No, it was actually the moment that I realized she has become quite accomplished at pooping in the tub. She did it with so little effort and production, that had I not been paying attention, I might have found her playing with the newly created balls before I had the chance to scoop them up (With my bare hands - when did picking up poop with my bare hands start seeming like a good idea?!).

She has been a pretty consistent bathtub pooper since she started sitting in the bath seat instead of her baby tub. I'm not sure why that is, except maybe that she's upright and she has more room to move around. And, tell me this, how is it that she times it so perfectly that Daddy is never there to clean up the poop? Granted, I do most of the bathing, but the night this happened he had actually started the bath and done all the scrubbing. Yet, she waited until he left to poop. I think they are conspiring against me. Well, that, and the fact that he flees quickly at any sign that the Poop Production Factory is up and running in the tub.

Since I'm on the subject of bodily functions, I think she has started using the "change diaper" sign. She was doing a funny new hand thing yesterday that resembles the sign, so I decided to check the diaper. Guess what? She needed one. This morning she worked hard on a stinky poot, then did the hand thing again. She didn't need a diaper, but she was smelly enough to make me think she did. Time will tell, but I think she has adapted the sign to her current abilities. The sign is made by rotating your fists together in front of you. She is definitely putting her fists together, but instead of rotating them she sort of moves them back and forth toward her chest. I wonder if her ability to communicate early that she needs a diaper change will have any impact on potty training in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment