Friday, February 13, 2009

Backward Bye-Byes

Ella has been waving for a while now, but I don’t get to see it much because she has a habit of waiting until whomever she is waving at has already left before she does it. When Dave is leaving, I will tell her to wave bye-bye and she waits until the door is closed behind him to wave. She waves backward, of course, because most babies do when they first start waving. The other night, she was sitting on the kitchen counter with Dave, and when I walked away from her she waved bye-bye. Dave called out to tell me she was waving at me, and when I walked back in the room, I found him waving backward at himself. Then he made an observation that answered one of life’s puzzling questions. Babies wave backward, with their fingers facing themselves, because that’s what it looks like when we wave to them. Makes sense to me.

I think my favorite moment of the week happened at 3:15 Wednesday morning. She had been asleep for 4 ½ hours (woohoo!) when I heard her fuss. I went into her room to find her pushed up on her hands with eyes wide and bright. When I picked her up, she leaned in and kissed me on the cheek! I think I might have melted into a puddle right there on the spot. Grandma tells me she did the same thing to her after a nap this week, too. She has also been kissing her baby doll. She started kissing several months ago, but now she’s better at it and it’s a lot more obvious.

I’ve started blowing kisses at her when I leave, and she finds this hilarious. Lots of things are hilarious in her little world. I’m glad I get to share it with her. It certainly makes the rest of life’s minutia melt away at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment