Monday, February 23, 2009

Self-Feeding

Dave and I dropped Ella off at Aunt Becca's Saturday afternoon so that we could go to lunch for our anniversary. We both felt weird without her. It's so much fun to take her out and about. As it turns out, she felt weird without us, too, because she screamed nearly the entire time she was with Aunt Becca. When we got back to pick her up, I found them snuggled in bed, Ella stripped to her diaper and passed out whimpering in her sleep. Becca said she cried so hard that all she could do was hold her tight until she fell asleep. Twice. Generally she loves to see and play with Aunt Becca, but I think we should have had Becca come to our house. Live and learn.

After church Sunday, she helped me in the kitchen while I prepped the meals for the week. She worked on bowls and lids and impersonated a human dust mop around the kitchen floor. She scooted and scooted all over the room, providing unnecessary proof that my floor needed sweeping.

More than once over the weekend she decided to feed herself, and she did not need my help. This led me to start thinking of more creative finger foods to feed her. She had a bit of toast for breakfast both mornings and some Veg-All for lunch after church. (I'm not a big fan of canned vegetables, but the convenience factor won out this time.) Amazingly, only 4 or 5 of the vegetable pieces didn't make it to her mouth. I chopped up and steamed some pears for her to have through the week. That was easy, so next weekend I'll just add steaming to my meal prep routine. I'm very excited about this because it means I can buy less baby food, and it's really cute to watch her feed herself. She hardly eats baby food at all when she's with me now; I just feed her what I'm eating. In fact, even if I've already fed her baby food, she insists on eating what I'm eating, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment