Monday, February 02, 2009

Beautiful Weekend

We had the kind of weekend that made me wish that stinking groundhog had not seen his shadow this morning. Do you think it matters that our southern groundhog couldn’t possible have seen his shadow? I can’t even find news that they scared him out of his hole in this nasty rain, so I’m betting we’ll have six more weeks of winter, too. Blah.

Friday morning, Ella had her first eye exam and she did fabulously. I was very nervous about her having her eyes dilated because I didn’t know what to expect from her. Aside from a little frustration when her vision went blurry, she took it all in stride. We got a good report that her vision is normal and her eyes are healthy, but she’ll have a follow up exam in six months because we have a family history of lazy eye (which, like everything else, is easier to correct while she’s a baby). I took advantage of a program I just learned about last week called InfantSEE, which allows babies ages 6 – 12 months to have their first eye exam for absolutely free. I’m glad we did it.

Ella and I had a lazy Saturday morning of playing in our pajamas while Dave worked on an appeal he’s writing. After her nap, we all went out to do some shopping. She loves to shop, and aside from when she’s sleeping, I think she’s the most calm when we are out and about. She just sits in the buggy or wrap and takes it all in. Even her hands are still, and that almost never happens.

In addition to the usual groceries, we also made a stop at PetSmart to purchase a backpack for Georgia to wear. I’ve been thinking lately about how my sister and I used to walk all over town before we could drive, and that it’s a shame that we don’t walk more places now. I mean, we live in a location where we can walk anywhere in town in 15 minutes, so why don’t we? I usually wear Ella when we walk because the stroller is too much trouble and it doesn’t go off-road very well. Carrying her things isn’t appealing to me, so I decided to put Georgia to work and bought her a pack to wear. Saturday afternoon, I loaded it up, put Ella on my back, and we did a test run around the neighborhood. She did great. Balance while pooping was a bit of an issue, but she worked it out.

Sunday morning we sent Ella to church with Grandmother so we could visit another church with a friend and hear Siran Stacy speak. That is a grace-filled man. Knowing his story, I never would have imagined I would leave there feeling so uplifted. Ella did okay at church, though I hear she did meltdown when left in the nursery. She prefers big church these days.

I met up with them after church and watched in amazement as Ella gobbled down a jar of turkey rice dinner, then proceeded to grunt at me for bites of my chicken quesadilla. When I signed food to her at some point over the weekend, she leaned into to me with her little bird mouth open. She knows the sign, and she loves food.

Sunday afternoon I brought out the dog pack, and Georgia went to the door to wait. I loaded it up with diapers and bottled water, tied Ella onto the front of me, and we all walked across town to the university intramural fields so Dave could play in a flag football game. It was a beautiful afternoon. Ella enjoyed her first experience of playing in the dirt and pulling up handfuls of grass. There was a race to keep the grass out of her mouth, but she had a grand time. Georgia was a little nutty at first because she wanted to play football, too, but she settled down and watched. In the spirit of convenience, we nursed right there on the sidelines and none of those boys even noticed. Back at home, Ella had a nap and Georgia passed out on the couch. Carrying our things all over town is hard work. I’m glad someone else can do it now. The pack was a success and I can’t wait to use it again next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment