Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"You're gonna have this baby in June."

That's what Dave said to me as I stood naked in the bathroom after my shower Sunday morning. Apparently, my belly is looking even huger these days. The "Wow, how much longer?" factor has increased greatly as I've had several strangers and many friends and family comment on my rapid belly growth in the last week. June is fine with me, as long as she waits until after the first week, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I believe she turned head down over the weekend. Sunday night I could feel her moving like crazy, like she flipped over. Then Monday, I was suddenly feeling kicks in the top part of my belly where I had not felt them yet. Head down is a good thing, but I think it's also contributing to my extra bathroom trip in the middle of the night. It seems I'm now on a two trip schedule rather than just the one trip I've been taking for the last several months. Also, I can't seem to sleep in a way that doesn't make my back hurt in the morning. I think it's just the weight of the belly, and it doesn't seem to matter how many pillows I have. I'm up to four right now, but that's because I've had to have two under my head to breathe (I have a cold right now). Dave is envious of my pillow nest. :)

I can tell that the baby is getting stronger and bigger because the kicks and punches are much stronger now. I can also see my belly move most of the time when she kicks or has hiccups. Dave can feel it, but she's a sassy one already. Any time I put my hand on my belly while she's moving, she stops. This means that when he tries to feel it, she usually stops - unless it's bedtime.

I got a little worried over the weekend because I barely felt her move at all Saturday. I decided to sit on the porch and drink sweet tea and eat a granola bar and wait to feel her. I did. She moved a little, but was much more subdued than normal. I've come to the conclusion that the basketball tournament wore her out on Friday. She was moving almost non-stop all Friday morning and most of the afternoon. That's not her normal schedule. :) I don't know if she loved it or hated it, but the noise really got her stirred up. I think she slept most of the day Saturday.

We've also discovered that she likes music. When Dave plays the keyboard or when the music in church is loud enough, she moves all over the place. She went NUTS when the bands were playing at the ball games over the weekend.

We are 25 weeks today. I think my hunger has finally slowed down some, thank goodness. It's hard to practice self-control when you are STARVING all the time. I've decided that the guidelines they give you for pregnancy weight gain are a joke. I'm supposed to gain about 25 pounds because my weight before pregnancy was on the high side of normal. I am just a few pounds short of that goal today, and I have 106 more days to go. I had a meltdown about this after my last doctor's appointment, but then I started thinking about those women who started overweight and are only supposed to gain 15 lbs. I don't know if that's possible. I cannot explain to you the HUNGER. I was so blessed not to be sick the whole time, and I'm so thankful for that, but the trade off for that is hunger like I've never felt before. Are you just supposed to not eat when you are starving? Anyway, I evaluated my eating habits and found that the only thing I was eating on a daily basis that was really bad was Pop-Tarts. 410 calories for 2! And 2 come in a package together! I quit buying them. Luckily, my appetite seems to be almost normal this week, so maybe it will stay that way for a while so the weight gain can slow down. All in all, I feel good about my pregnant body. I think my belly is pretty and I can't tell that I've gained much extra anywhere else.

I still don't need to hear that I'm huge from every person who lays eyes on me. I already know it, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment