Wednesday, April 02, 2008

99 Days!

I can't believe it, but I only have 99 days left! That's based on a due date of July 10th, so who really knows? The doctor just keeps saying "the first week of July." All I know is that she'll come when she's ready, and not when "they" say she should be here. I'm hoping it's right on time, but we shall see. It's still hard to believe that I'm in double-digits now. I can't wait. I get more excited to meet her every day.

According to my pregnancy calendar, we are 26 weeks today and the baby weighs about 2 lbs. and is about 9 inches long. Also, she can open her eyes now so she's practicing her blinking skills.

I have changed my diet to make sure that I'm getting enough protein, and I swear the swelling in my feet has been better! I read that eating a high protein diet (75-80 grams a day) reduces the risk of preeclampsia. Since I am planning a natural birth, I need to stay as low-risk as possible. Now I'm just trying not to worry about the number of calories I'm eating, though I find I'm not eating as much or as often. The protein makes me feel full longer, and I'm sure lean meat, eggs, and cheese are better for me than chocolate chip granola bars and Pop Tarts. I feel pretty good about my diet, but my most recent downfalls are real Coke (only 8 0z a day) and chocolate. Two caffeine containing junk foods that I should probably avoid, but chocolate makes the world a better place and 8 oz of Coke a day aren't going to kill us.

If you weren't already aware of my decision, you may have just done a double-take about my natural birth plan. It's something I've kept fairly quiet because people's reactions are generally less than desirable - that's putting it very nicely. It's something I'm really excited about so I finally decided I would write about it here. If you have something negative or derogatory to say about the decision, please keep it to yourself. I don't need to hear it, and I assure you I've done plenty of research and I'm not blindly naive about birth.

Birth is a completely individual and personal experience for everyone. I believe with everything in my being that natural is the best method for me and my baby. I've researched the pros and cons of using medications and all the various interventions that could be involved, and I just don't want any of that if it can be avoided. And, I believe it can be avoided. I have a number of reasons for my decision that I won't go into here, but primarily I believe that God gave me these hips for birthing babies. :) My body is designed to give birth, and it knows how to give birth if I just let it. I've never been anxious or scared about birth, and the more I prepare for mine, the more excited I get.

I'm planning to use hypnosis as my birth method. Before you roll your eyes and laugh, let me correct the idea that hypnosis is what you see on TV when people are made to do crazy things. It's not nearly as wacky as it sounds, and it makes good sense to me. Basically, it's a state of deep relaxation that allows your body to function as it was designed. The proven theory behind this is that pain leads to fear and that leads to tension, which becomes a vicious cycle that makes you feel more pain. When your body is tense, it fights against itself and can't function as efficiently as it would if you were not tense. Anyway, I have a study guide and CD's to teach me how to relax and put myself in a state of deep hypnosis. I will also learn to administer my own natural anesthesia. It's all about the power of the mind controlling the body. A little education - when in hypnosis, I will be aware of my surroundings, and I will me able to move and talk as I see fit. I will still be in complete control of my body, and I cannot enter hypnosis unless I choose to do so. I have been practicing for a couple of weeks now and I love it! It's so relaxing, and so affirming. I have complete confidence that I can do this.

If you want to know more about my reasons for choosing natural birth and you are open to the idea, feel free to ask me. I'd hate to hog the knowledge if someone is truly interested in what I've learned - not in dissuading me.

The next three months are going to fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment