Wednesday, April 23, 2008

29 Weeks

There isn't much to report on baby progress this week. She's growing. That's about it. :) She should weigh about 2 lbs 10 oz right now, according to the calendar. I believe this to be true, even with the diabetes and the constant comments about how huge my baby must be already because my belly is. From what I've read, it's from this point forward that she would gain extra weight if I don't keep my sugar under control. I also read a very interesting tid bit about predicting the baby's birth weight. Apparently, the most reliable method, over ultrasound, fundal height measurement, and palpitations, is.... the mother's intuition! *GASP* Imagine that the mother might have a clue with what's going on in her body! (Notice the sarcasm? I'm about tired of being told how huge my baby will be.) Have mercy, I sound grouchy. I think she'll be in the seven pound range, and I've believed that for quite some time now.

I've learned some interesting things about gestational diabetes in the last week besides that it's in the last weeks that the baby packs on extra fat if the mother's sugar isn't controlled. Apparently, when the mother's sugar isn't controlled, energy that is supposed to be used on developing the lungs is being used to store that extra sugar as fat - thus, when babies of diabetic mothers are born early (as is prone to happen) they have an increased chance of underdeveloped lungs. Also, the fasting sugar level (the first one you check before eating in the morning) can get wacked out overnight as if you feasted at a dessert buffet. This is because while you are sleeping, the placenta is releasing hormones that prohibit the use of insulin. Basically, you have done nothing to cause it to skyrocket but still it goes higher than it is supposed to be - as is the nature of gestational diabetes. Little things like using perfumed hand sanitizer or lotions can affect your sugar levels if you do not wash your hands first or use an alcohol prep pad. And the biggest of all, which I already knew but had confirmed this morning, even if you eat like the diet says, some approved foods will still make your sugar level too high. :( I got my glucose test strips in the mail yesterday, so I've now embarked on the adventure of figuring out what I can and can't eat (within the diet) to keep my sugar where it's supposed to be. I'll say this, I know when it's back to the fasting level because that's when I'm suddenly, painfully, nauseously starving.

More on the big belly - which, I happen to love and think is beautiful regardless of the ignorant comments I've received. I attended a baby shower for my friend who is about a month ahead of me over the weekend. There were 4 obviously pregnant women there, including one who was being induced this week (yesterday). One of the ladies walked up to me and said, "You look like you are the most due here. When are you due?" I laughed. And said, "July."

No comments:

Post a Comment