Friday, January 28, 2011

School is in Session

Since starting preschool, EGR has revealed to me exactly how nerdy I have always been. She plays school now - hard-core, in the zone, teaching her "babies" using the exact routine they use at her school. The only difference between her school-playing and mine is that she doesn't understand the concept of homework yet, so she fails to leave the "friends" with assignments when she leaves the house each morning. Oh, and she doesn't have a chalkboard mounted on the wall. Yet.

I guess preschool is a little early for chalkboards and homework. I'm sure those things will come in due time.

What does the school day look like? She starts the morning by waiting at the door for the friends to arrive and placing their backpacks outside in a neat row. Once they have all arrived, they play with toys, then sit at the table to paint a picture. After that, they might line up for music practice or sit in a group to practice saying the pledge. Sometimes, while they are in the group, they also sing a song or read a book. Then, it's lunch time, so back to the table. After lunch, nap. Their artwork goes out into the hall with their backpacks and they sleep until thier mommies and daddies pick them up from school. I've documented it with pictures.

Backpacks and artwork.
 Lined up for music practice.
 Nap time; sometimes the friends have to sleep "each together" and share a blanket.
 Ready for lunch.
 Saying the pledges - to the flag and the Bible. She knows both of them.
Thankfully, my husband was raised in a Baptist church so he can give her the lines of the plege to the Bible if she forgets them. I'll have to get her to teach me, because I never learned it.

In case we didn't know it already, she's officially my daughter.

2 comments:

  1. I especially like that she teaches in her underwear. Teaching those "friends" not to waste time with silly things like pants. Also, so much easier to teach those preschoolers potty training, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She gets progressively more naked as the day goes on. I always assumed I would be having the conversation about wearing a shirt to the table with a son, but no, we already have that discussion a few times a week.

    ReplyDelete