Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Long Lean Luke

Luke, known as Harris by the medical community, had his 4-month check up yesterday. He is 26 inches long (75-90 percentile on the growth chart) and weighs 14 pounds 8 ounces (25 - 50 percentile). Again, he's two pounds heavier and two inches longer than EGR at this age. He's already wearing 6-9 month sized clothing.

Yet again, I discussed reflux with the doctor, and given what I know now with Ella's experience, we decided to medicate him again. I requested something other than the evil Zantac, so he'll also be taking Prevacid - half the dose that his sister takes each day. I think he has "silent reflux" because he doesn't throw up, or even spit up very often, like Ella does. That's the main reason I've been trying to decide if I was crazy for thinking he has it for the last 2 months, but the older he gets, the more obvious it's becoming. We had two nights of inconsolable, painful screaming for over an hour during Christmas and he's more and more often squirming uncomfortably when I lay him in his bed at night. I can also see and hear the reflux coming up into the back of his mouth and him swallowing it back down with a nasty, fussy face. And, he's had an unexplained stuffy nose for almost 2 months. So, child number 2 is medicated, and I will not be so quick to try to get him off the medicine as I was with Ella. I don't want to repeat chronic sinusitis.

He was in rare form for his visit - squealing, rolling over, and showing off his mad jumping skills. He sat right up when the doctor pulled on his hands. He was having a grand ol' time playing with everyone until that first shot royally pissed him off. I know the shots are necessary, but I hateses them.

He now tries to get his own arms out of the straps in the car seat when I unbuckle him. He tries to sit up and get out of the bouncy chair by himself when I unbuckle him. If I prop him semi-reclined on a pillow, he tries to sit himself straight up. It won't be long before he can sit unsupported. He'll be thrilled when he can sit in the floor beside Ella all by himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment