Monday, June 12, 2006

Meet Oscar

nu=3272>2;4>;3:>WSNRCG=32338295;7443nu0mrj">
nu=3272>2;4>;3:>WSNRCG=32338295:7::7nu0mrj">
nu=3272>2;4>;3:>WSNRCG=32338295;7445nu0mrj">













This is Oscar, so named because Rob found him in a trash pile. Of course he brought him to me, because he knew I couldn't turn him away. We are pretty sure he's a lab/shepherd mix. He's about 6 months old, the best I can tell, and has been mistreated. He apparently had been wearing some sort of chain or wire around his neck and broke out of it. The underside of his neck is a nasty, raw, open sore; the rest of his neck has scabs on it. He seems fairly healthy, other than that. He's going to the vet today for a thorough checkup and treatment for his neck. He's also a little skittish around men, which makes me think he was probably abused.

I think I'm still in shock at having another dog at my house. He was only going to stay Saturday night until my brother could take him to the humane society Sunday, but Dave couldn't handle the thought of that. So, he made a deal: Oscar can stay outside in our backyard as long as Rob pays half of everything. That's what we are working on right now. I'm still going to try to find him a home where he can be an inside/outside/only dog, though. We just don't have the space for him and another large kennel in our house right now. He gets along pretty well with Georgia, though he's a little territorial over food and space. We are already working to correct that, but it's difficult since he can't wear a collar right now. To top it off, Georgia is such a submissive dog, she's a little intimidated by him when they aren't playing because he jumped on her when she sniffed the spot he's been using as a bed on our portch. We are working with her too, so she won't be scared to walk across the porch to come inside. Other than that, they play very well together.

He's smart, and has basically learned not to jump up (with a few reminders) and he learned how to retrieve yesterday. He's so sweet and starved for love and attention. I will do the best I can to provide that, and hopefully I can find him a good home. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment