Thursday, October 11, 2012

Halloween Preview

I am not making the kids' costumes for Halloween this year. It makes me a little sad, but I'm also giving myself a break. It's been a busy year, it's still a busy fall, so it's nice not to worry about finishing the costumes in time.

Also, the Costume Express people sent us a magazine and the little monkeys have been studying that thing like it's the Sears Wish Book. Ella has changed her costume five hundred and twenty-two times in the past month. I promised her that I would take her to the store to pick out a costume instead of ordering from the catalog, that way she gets that she can't change her mind once it's bought. As of the day before we went to Target, she was going to be a waterslide.

She ultimately picked out a mermaid costume. I guess she had already scoped it out because she went straight to it and grabbed it off the shelf. Unfortunately, the Ariel one didn't fit as well as I needed it to, so we opted for a generic mermaid. She has already asked me to put Ariel on it, so I will. I also promised her that we would Kool-Aid-dye her hair red for the occasion.

This morning she told me that next Halloween she is going to be Clarabelle Cow in the pool of gurgling bubbles - straight from the episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse they watched this morning. I already know how I would make that, but by then she will have chosen something else.



We decided for Luke, and he enthusiastically agreed, that he will be a football player. When we were at the Whistle Stop festival a couple of weeks ago, he dressed up as a football player and had his picture taken. He loved it so much that he melted into a tantrum when we finally got the helmet off of him and walked away from the tent.

Since then, he's been playing football in the evenings and wearing a t-shirt on his head - face stuck through the neck hole, t-shirt hanging around his head and shoulders like a nun's head covering - as a helmet. When Dave realized that he was pretending the t-shirt was a helmet, he suggested we get him a football player costume for Halloween.

We ventured down the Target Halloween aisle and there was not a single football player costume to be found. Dave found a youth helment in the sporting goods section but it was too heavy for Luke's little neck. Then, searching all around for an alternative (And seriously, there are no dress up clothes for boys. Why? There's a crap load of princess dresses, but not a single thing for boys except at Halloween.), we found a little Alabama helmet and jersey deal in a box. We broke that bad boy open to see if the helmet was lighter than the real one. It was. The jersey is for kids 5 - 9 years old, so it will be huge on him, but that means there's room for adding some fake shoulder pads.

So, my Roll Tide, football obsessed kid is going to be an
Alabama football player for Halloween, further solidifying the world's belief that we are the most die-hard Alabama fans on the planet. Seriously, he calls all football "Roll Tide". He named his own football Roll Tide. He runs around saying "Roll Tide! Alabama!" all.the.time.

He loves his helmet and wears it most of the time when we are at home. He wore it in the car, all the way home from the store. I thought he would try to sleep in it the first night. I think he's going to love his costume. 




No comments:

Post a Comment