Saturday, August 18, 2012

Two Year Old Luke

Two-year-old Luke has learned how to use his great big, brown eyes for bending your will to his own. They are oh-so-sad and soulful when I tell him no and he really wants to hear yes. It’s terribly cute. It is not cute when he realizes it’s not working and opts for plan b – dropping all of the bones out of his body until he crumples in a puddle on the floor, screaming. Alas, he is two.

Today is his second birthday. He’s growing up so fast I find myself really needing to focus so that I don’t miss it.

His number one job is playing and he takes it very seriously. He plays alone, he plays with us, he inserts himself into Ella’s games. He imitates her and now he makes up his own world to play in. Lately he’s been playing Birthday Party, lining up all of his cars and trains and singing Happy Birthday, complete with a toy ‘upcake. When we play with him, he makes us take off our shoes and sit in the floor – unless we’re dancing. We do dance. I love to watch his little body dancing all around telling me to “Dance Mama!” I wish I had danced in my earlier life like I dance with my 2 year old.

He and his cousin Jake are fast friends, already teaming up for trouble and blaming each other for it. Well, Luke blames Jake, but I’m certain that Jake would blame him too if he had all the words.

He is becoming more independent every day. He packs his own toy bag to take to Grandmother’s, brushes his own teeth (I still insist on having a turn), puts his shoes on, finds his things and puts them away when asked, and picks his own cup. Have mercy, cup-picking is a tantrum trigger for him, just like it was for Ella.

At meal times, he says the blessing with us, and knows most of the words to all of them. He sings so much that I’m convinced that he has music in his head. His life soundtrack consists mostly of “Skinny Marinky Dinky Dink” and “Down by the Station” right now. He also gets very excited when we break out the Southern Gospel and sing “Glory Land” at the top of our lungs.

He started taking gymnastics this summer and he seems to love it, judging by the amount of tumbling he does at home. While his balance is amazing, watching him practice his beam skills at home is occasionally heart-stopping. This fall he will go to preschool 4 days a week, and I’m certain he is ready. I know he will be excited that he gets to go every day like Ella does.

Though he still looks like the same skinny bean he’s always been, I can tell he is heavier when I wear him now. He is certainly longer. He alternates between eating like a 14 year old boy and picking at his food – depending on what fun he had to leave to eat and if his teeth are hurting. He still has to grow five more teeth before that special trial of parenting is finished. I think everyone around him is ready for that to happen. He doesn’t cry about his teeth; he turns into his evil alter personality and lashes out at every person, place, and thing around him. We’ve learned that when Luke assumes the likeness of a cornered, feral cat, it’s time to give him some Motrin.

When he’s not teething or mad, he has a very sweet, easy-going personality. He loves his family and freely blows kisses and tells all of us, “‘ove you!” If you can catch him, he gives really good hugs.

His hair is getting too long but it’s wild and beautiful and one of his last vestiges of babyhood. Cutting it will signify the end of an age in our house. I’m already mourning those baby curls and they aren't even gone yet.

He still nurses briefly at bed time, but that is rapidly changing as he more and more often tells me, “Night, night,” and rolls over to fall asleep. He has slept through the night a handful of times recently, but he usually still wakes once or twice to cuddle and he almost always finishes the night in our bed. We aren’t in a hurry to change that.

He is a fun-loving, mischievous, affectionate kid and I count myself lucky to be his mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment