Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dave's Chemo Journal: April 19, 2012

In this entry, Dave recounts 12 days worth of activity between rounds 1 and 2 of chemo.

April 19, 2012

I am excited to see that I have not written anything here in 12 days. Writing is typically something I do when I am sad, depressed or devastatingly bored. There has been some of that since the last journal entry, but none in the past several days. Let’s see what I have done . . . .

On April 8 (Easter), I had a pretty good day. Church, hiding eggs with the kids, etc. We went to a dinner get together at 6 and I had to come home early. My stomach was sketchy and I was very tired. In bed by 7:30.

On April 9 I went to the doctor for blood work and my white cell count was 700 (versus 3800 at my initial appointment). The doctor told me I could become infected easily and I should be careful not to be around any germs if possible. I went to the office for a while, but could not stand to just sit there and not go to the courthouse. Knowing that I did not need to go to the courthouse and desperately wanting to go find some new work tore me apart until I left around noon and went to the golf course. That might have been too much for me as I was in bed right after dinner. My temperature spiked and we called the doctor’s office. He called us back from his home phone, but my temperature had returned to normal and he told us just to keep watching it.

On Tuesday, I had hearings in the morning and an appointment in the late afternoon. I worked a full day and felt pretty good all day. Amanda’s mom offered to keep the kids for the night so we had dinner and watched a much needed funny movie.

On Wednesday, April 11, I did go to the courthouse in the morning and then spent the afternoon visiting children who I represent in court at their homes. It was very fulfilling and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On Thursday I went to the office and then made a trip to see another client in an institution in north Alabama. The 280 mile round trip was good for my spirits and I got home by 2:30, just in time to make it to the golf course.

I followed up with my primary care doctor in the morning on Friday the 13th and went to the golf course with my brother-in-law at 10.

I felt good and pretty normal from Tuesday through Friday and my health and treatment side effects did not keep me from doing anything that I wanted to do.

On Saturday, we all got up early and went to a local state park to participate in a run/walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My sister-in-law organized a team for us and we all wore t-shirts bearing the slogan “Lymphoma Sucks” in lime green. The back of the shirts said, “I wear lime green for Dave Roper, a Certified Lymphoma Butt Kicker.” My kids had shirts that said “I wear lime green for my Daddy.” Those have made me cry more than once since the kids got them.

We participated in the race and walked with my brother and his wife. We took turns pushing the kids in the stroller and finished the 5k in 51 minutes. Certainly not as fast a time as I would have wanted to clock if I were running the race at full strength, but not bad considering the circumstances. After the run, our team had breakfast at the park. Over 20 people wearing their shirts in my honor. It was pretty awesome.

We went to the store on the way home and played outside in the pool in the afternoon before cooking dinner on the grill. It felt like a pretty normal spring Saturday.

Sunday was normal too – with church, lunch after church, a nap after lunch and a visit with Amanda’s uncle and cousins in the late afternoon. Great days all around.

On Monday it started happening slowly. I had not really believed that it would happen, even though the doctors told me that it would. I was at work when I first noticed it just a little and by the time I got home, it became apparent that this would be a reality during the next few months.

On Tuesday my son had surgery to get tubes put in his ears and it became such an issue while we were at Children’s Hospital that I decided to buy the necessary equipment and handle the problem. It looked like someone had been grooming a dog in his hospital room for goodness sakes. So on the way home, we bought clippers and new razor blades and I became a bald man that afternoon.

Wednesday I worked half a day and played golf in the afternoon – still feeling fine and perhaps using my “sickness” as an excuse to blow off work in the middle of the week. And today I am here, back at work with a full day planned out, feeling fine. I wouldn’t know I have anything wrong if the medical professionals didn’t keep telling me that I do. Of course, that makes me entertain the possibility of terminating my chemotherapy, but I know that would piss off the wife. So I guess I better keep going with it. Next one is Monday. I will probably be writing more then.

No comments:

Post a Comment