Thursday, July 05, 2012

My Dark Place

I have been struggling.

Or wallowing, if you like, in a pit of negativity, worry, and bitterness. It wasn’t the devil this time, at least he wasn’t in control the way he was the last time I got like this. I’m sure he has been poking at me, taking advantage of my weakness, but this time it was all me. I’ve been doing the things I am supposed to do – filling my heart and mind with praise and worship and Bible reading – but I’ve still acted like the unworthy sinner that I am and relished the wallowing instead of overcoming it.

It’s why I haven’t blogged in a while, or written anything at all. I’ve learned that when I get like that, it’s best to stay away from the blog lest the bitterness ooze out in my words and be preserved forever. That’s not what I want, though it’s probably when I should be writing the most.

I’ve also worried that some of you are tired of reading about cancer or just tired of reading what I write at all, so in my mind, I quit writing a thousand times. In my mind, I shut down the blog and my Facebook page. As punishment – though I don’t know who the punishment is directed at except me. When I’m despairing, I withhold information because I assume that no one cares what I have to say or what I’m struggling through. People have their own lives to live, their own struggles to attend to. They don’t need my drama on top of that. I know what it’s like to be filled to the brim, stretched to capacity with struggle, trying not to overflow on the nearest person who makes a well-intentioned but poorly worded comment that I take badly simply because I cannot process anything else. I don’t want to be the commenter and I try to limit my exposure to the comments.

But truthfully, though I came very close, I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t shut down the blog. It’s been my own personal space on the web since 2006 and I couldn’t end it now just because I’m struggling to claw my way out of a pit. And, though I came much closer to deactivating my Facebook page, I couldn’t do that either. It’s where most of you pick up the blog link, and it gives me a comfortable channel of communication with people I want to be in contact with that I would probably never call on the phone, because I’m very bad at calling people.

So I’ve been in this pit, worrying and trying to figure out if I should continue to blog about our journey through cancer and chemo or if enough is enough already, until last night when Dave’s Nana called to check on him. He had his fifth round of chemo on Monday (most of you didn’t know because I didn’t tell). We talked for a few minutes and she gave me the perspective I needed to resolve my wallowing two-fold. First, she told me, “I asked the kids [the ones who live near her] if you had posted anything on the Internet or whatever you do, but they said you hadn’t.” Nana is 90, if you’ll remember – it was her birthday party we missed the day after Dave had surgery. Even she is looking to the Internet for information, though she doesn’t have a computer of her own. Then, when I reluctantly told her that Dave wasn’t home because he was playing golf (yes, two days after chemo), she responded with laughter and, “That’s wonderful! That made my day that even though he feels bad he’s playing golf.”

Indeed. That’s exactly how I feel about it, too. My heart rejoices when he says he wants to try to play a few holes because it means he’s feeling a little better, even if just for an hour or two. I haven’t been forthcoming with this information because I assume that people will think, “If he’s well enough to play golf then why is she making such a big deal about all of this chemo business?” But golf or not, it is a big deal and thanks to Nana for snapping me out of it.

I will assume that if you are tired of reading about cancer, you will not be visiting this blog for a while, and that if you are here reading, you are interested in knowing what is going on with us. I can’t stop writing it, and while we know that life goes on around cancer, it doesn’t stop it from being.

Round 5, we’re in the middle of it. He’s not feeling well yet, but he did manage a round of golf. It’s cathartic for his mind and makes him feel like he’s doing something productive for his body. The goal in the 48 hours after chemo is to flush out the poison with fluids and sweating. He sweats plenty while simply sleeping, but when he feels well enough to get up and move around, he likes to sweat in the sunshine while doing something. He woke up truly hungry today and he went to his office, but only after, “Where’s my Zofran, woman?” Can you see how crazy this is? He feels okay one hour and bad the next, he doesn’t need the anti-nausea meds for half a day some days and but he might need it before he gets out of bed the next. Roller.Coaster. Anyway, we are both back at our respective offices today, reclaiming normal. He has another nine days of medicine to take before this cycle moves into the rest phase and we relax into the fun week.

Though the 4th of July wouldn’t have been our first choice for chemo week, it was nice to have a day off in the middle of it. The kids soaked him up. They usually go four or five days of barely seeing him during chemo week (because he goes to bed so early) and they miss him terribly. Our day off yesterday gave them time to play with him during the hours when he was feeling well, and play they did. Together and apart, they were all over him all morning – Barbies and trains and babies and games, until he cried Uncle and I herded them out to the pool for a while. This morning Luke woke up and immediately told him, “Daddy! Play!” When he had to leave him alone with his trains to get ready for work, Luke came running into the kitchen to tell me, “Mama, Daddy work!” It’s as if even the littlest one recognizes the good of him going back to the office after a few days of feeling bad.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa Kallman7:16 PM

    Amanda, I shook my head thru most of this because I want shake you and say stop beating yourself up!!!! I love reading just about anything you write!! You make me feel so sane,so normal,and I just hate it that you feel like this sometimes and then I love it because I feel like this too and then hate it because you have so much more of a reason to feel like this,and so on and so on. Again, I wish I could hug you thru FB!! I will be praying you!!

    ReplyDelete