Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dinosaurs and Cell Phones Do Not Make Good Dinner Companions


At barely 4 and almost 2, I didn’t expect to be policing cell phone usage at the supper table. But I am. Our rule is well founded – no texting or talking at the table. Even I have been called out recently about checking my messages (though technically I don’t count it as “at the table” since some nights I barely sit at the table during meal time), and Grandmother recently had to excuse herself because she just couldn’t stop texting at the table. That led to another issue. Now Ella doesn’t text or talk at the table, but she does excuse herself to the other room to take a call or send a message.

Her phone obviously doesn’t have service, but she will make you think it does.

Now Luke has started bringing a phone to the table. They keep them beside their plates. Dave and I don’t even do that. I believe it’s time, at 2 and 4, that I enact my plan of collecting electronic devices in a bowl at supper time so that we can focus on each other at the table.

On that note, another something that apparently needs collection at supper time: a plastic Brontosaurus. Aside from cell phones, Ella never really brought toys to the table. Meal times are for eating and we consider eating to be serious business. Luke, however, has a habit of bringing an entourage to sit beside his plate so that he has someone with whom to share his meal. It could be a baby doll, his little Mickey and Goofy figures, a Barbie, and most recently, a plastic Brontosaurus. I generally don’t have an issue with guests at the table because they keep him focused on eating – a task that I often find challenging. But, when the guests get unruly, they have to be excused.

That is what happened to Brontosaurus Sunday night. He could not control himself. In his excitement at sharing a meal with Luke, he was galloping all over the table and into the plates of the rest of us. I was not amused (really I was but I had to act like I was not because I’m the mother). Brontosaurus had three chances to get himself under control but he just couldn’t do it. Dave had to send him to time out on top of the refrigerator.

Luke’s heart was broken. He cried and cried and every time he started to not cry anymore, he looked up at the top of the fridge and said, “Di-saur, up!” and cried again.

We live in a house of loosely controlled chaos most of the time, because we value play as an important job that kids – and parents - need to do. However, we also value eating a meal without fear of having our tea glasses charged over by a rogue Brontosaurus. Thus, our list of supper time rules is growing.

Ropers' Rules of the Table

1. Shirts are required. Once they are able to eat with utensils and no longer cover themselves in food, this rule goes into effect.
2. Phones are not allowed because we are eating together, not with whomever is on the other end of the line.
3. The TV is turned off because zombies also do not make good dinner companions.
4. Unruly toys must be excused.

Brontosaurus hasn’t been back for supper yet, but I’m sure we’ll give him another chance – now that he knows the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment