Monday, March 16, 2009

Tooth #3 and Stayed Tuned for #4

As the little monkey hung upside down in my lap yesterday evening, I got a good look at tooth number three! It had just broken through the skin on the top right side. In fact, it looked pretty jagged and painful with a nasty, little, scabby thing around it. No wonder we’ve been sleepless and snotty for three days. She hasn’t been guarding this one like she did the first two, but she has constantly had her finger in there playing with it. I can see number four just under the skin on the left side. Hopefully it will come through in the next day or two so we can have a few days respite before whatever comes next in this great adventure.

On that note, I cautiously want to report that for the past few weeks, she has slept 4 – 5 uninterrupted hours at least one night a week. *Insert Happy Dance here.* I’m really hoping this trend is about to become a consistent habit. (FYI – 5 uninterrupted hours is considered sleeping through the night, which is a milestone that every baby achieves in his or her own timeframe). The drawback of 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep is that she thinks she is recharged and ready to play – at 3:30 in the morning. That’s okay; I’ll take it. I can usually get her back to sleep pretty quickly by putting her in bed with me to nurse. Once she realizes we aren’t going to get up, she gives up the fight pretty easily. It’s funny to watch her sit up on her knees and then fall over into the pillow because she really isn’t awake enough to play, but she feels like she has to make the effort. She’s just like her father in that respect.

In addition to crawling wherever she wants to go, she has now mastered the two steps up into Grandmother’s dining room. She makes no bones about scurrying right up them. Going down is another issue entirely, and I’m sure she’ll be working on that straight away. While navigating the stairs, she realized that she can pull up and stand on her own two feet, so she’s practicing that on everything. The first night she did it, I had to undress her for her bath while she stood hanging on to the edge of the tub, watching it fill up because she couldn’t be bothered with lying in the floor.

She is now consistently telling us when she has a dirty diaper by pointing to it and fussing. She was playing in the floor this morning while I did my last minute, headless chicken run through the house. As I passed by, she was crawling after me this way and that, trying to get my attention. When I stopped to check on her, she sat down with a very serious face, muttered some gibberish, and pointed to her diaper. We changed it right away and she was good to go. I think I need to start reading up on potty training.

Speaking of gibberish, I believe we were all glad we couldn’t understand her last night when she cursed her Grandpop. He was trying to step over her as she played in the floor and she moved her head just in time to hit his foot. Oh, how it hurt her feelings, and she let us know it. I picked her up to cuddle her and she stopped crying to sternly say, “Bababababbabab!” Her point could not have been clearer if she had shaken her fist and spoken plain words. It’s not all gibberish she mutters; I’ve heard her say “Hey!” twice this week while waving.

All this baby movement has changed the dynamics of our household. Gypsy got a quick lesson in staying out of reach Saturday morning when Ella took a notion to chase her. I heard a gleeful cackle, and then the race was on. It ended when Gypsy finally decided to get on the back of the couch. Since Ella can go where she wants to go, she’s definitely testing her boundaries. An increased use of the N word (“No!”) has Georgia a little unnerved. The poor dog doesn’t like it when any person/pet gets scolded, so she’s acting very clingy right now and staying far away from that trouble-making baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment