Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Great Escape

Actually, there have been two escapes recently. Well, actually, there have been four, but only two this week. Both were pretty funny.

Remember when I was bragging about Georgia staying in her fence? I spoke too soon. Last Saturday, the next door cat (Cody is his name, I think) was sitting nicely in his backyard. Georgia was very excited about this; Cody was not at all excited. Georgia acted like she wanted to scoot under the fence in a pre-established weak spot (she didn't dig the hole), so I took the rebar out of the gate and stuck it in that spot in the fence, to make the fence more stable. I thought this would be fine because the gate was still latched. We should have been secure, right? Wrong. Cody decided he couldn't take the pressure any longer and took off running. Georgia, in hot pursuit, used her head to ram right through the gate! It certainly caught me off guard. She didn't go far, just chased Cody around his house, then inspected the neighbor's backyard. Apparently, the rebar must remain in the gate at all times if it is supposed to hold the brown dog. That was the first escape of the week.

Last night, my opportunist cats decided that during a thunderstorm is a good time to venture into the yard. I was not involved in this adventure (as I have been in all of the escapes thus far) because I was reading peacefully on the couch. Dave had been out on the porch and come in to get a shower. When he came out of the shower he said, "Who left the door open?" Um, not me, I haven't moved. Apparently, he didn't shut it all the way when he came in and the wind blew it open. So, we searched the house for the cats, and they were no where to be found, of course. I stood on the back porch, in the pouring rain (okay, the porch is covered, but that's beside the point) calling Jewel. I knew that if only one was out there, it would be her. Georgia assisted me in rounding up the kitties, and soon they came in one-by-one. Gypsy, being the street smart cat that she is, had snuggled down on one of the chairs around the table. She was the first to come in, and she was nice and dry. Georgia convinced Squirt and Jewel to come out from under the porch. I don't often see Squirt's furry, black butt move as fast as it did through the rain to the back door last night. Apparently, he doesn't like rain. :) Jewel was the last one in, and in no hurry at all. I wasn't surprised. They all got cookies for coming when I called them, and settled in to bathe all that outside thunderstorm off of themselve. Crazy cats.

In people news: I am happy to report that we are spending lots of time playing in the yard and at the park. I'm loving not having a project to work on, though I think Dave is getting bored already. He'll find something to get into soon, I'm sure. My work has been crazybusy, as has become the norm. That's fine, it makes the days go fast and I'm loving it. On that note, is 4 in the afternoon the official witching hour? It seems like things get even crazier in that last hour when I'm trying to leave on time.

We are waiting and hoping for our house to sell soon, and waiting and hoping for good bar exam results. We spent Easter at our church in Gardendale, and that was kind of sad, but we plan to start looking for a new church this week. That's all I really know for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment