Friday, June 10, 2011

Vacationizing

We are loading up our train and heading to the beach in the morning. As far as my mind is concerned, this day is already over (which probably doesn't bode well for work productivity, and I really need to be productive today).

This has been one crazy week. Let me lay it out for you.

Monday - Ella had her first gymnastics class. She LOVED it. We didn't have any of the usual nervous, "I don't want to go" conversation. She woke up ready, giving me instructions about which shorts and t-shirt she would wear. She had so much fun in class, so we went ahead and signed her up to go twice a week for the summer.

Monday evening, I checked the mail and found a collection letter for a Children's hospital bill. It should not have been in collections because I was waiting on them to charge my insurance for it.

Monday night, Dave found two fleas on himself that had jumped off the dog. Since she's been scratcing like mad and we are sending her to a friend's house for vacation, I decided to go ahead and bathe her (not a small event in our house) and put her Frontline on her. The poor dog was covered in fleas. I had no idea. She always scratches a lot when the weather gets hot, and she'd had her Frontline, so I wasn't expecting so many fleas. I decided we needed to flea bomb the house and wash all her bedding.

Tuesday - I called Children's and found out that they had indeed charged the insurance company and this was the remaining amount that wasn't covered. It would certainly have been nice to have known that a month ago when I made the first phone call about said bill, you know, before they threatened to collect. Anywho, I paid an unexpected, multi-hundred dollar bill over the phone and transferred some money from savings.

Dave forgot to get flea bombs, so we decided to wait and do it when we leave for vacation Saturday morning.

Wednesday - There was no hot water. Tuesday night, I scalded my hands doing dishes, Wednesday morning, nothing. I packed my things and went to Grandmother's early to shower because starting the day with a cold shower is just the best way to piss me off.

The dog was still scratching like mad, so I decided to call the vet's office and get the flea pill (Comfortis). I told Dave to go ahead and buy the flea bombs while he was at Lowe's getting new heating elements for the hot water heater. I spent 20 minutes and $220 in the vet's office on the one flea pill for Georgia to take that day, and a six month supply of flea prevention for her and the cats because obviously the Frontline wasn't doing it's job anymore (and thankfully, I had used the last one on Georgia so there wasn't any left to waste).

Dave and my dad fixed the hot water heater, the kids got their baths, and as I was heading to bed, I got a text message from my boss: "Dress for clients tomorrow, you'll need to attend a meeting to answer some technical questions." What a lovely, unexpected surprise.

Thursday - I attended the meeting, and thankfully, the head of development was also there so he spent an hour fielding questions that I would have been answering. I didn't have to say a word. Finally, a break.

Thursday afternoon, I went to the dentist to get my permanent crown on my baby tooth. Yes, I still have a baby tooth, and in an effort to save it for a few more years, it now has a crown (because it's falling apart "but the roots look good"). It wasn't the most traumatic dental experience I've had, but it wasn't fun either. This is the same tooth that started my dental anxiety years ago when it broke in half, wouldn't go numb, and the dentist (not the dentist I use now) blew cold air onto it. Regardless of the fact that it's twenty some-odd years old and "most baby teeth lose some sensitivity after that long", this one has not.

Georgia went to Grandmother's with the kids Thursday because I set the flea bombs off in the house, and while she was there, she was involved in a multi-dog/kid collision, resulting in an injured foot. I don't think it's serious, and I think if she stays off of it, she'll be fine. She's in the kennel today, so hopefully it will be much better this evening and I won't have to worry about leaving her with a hurt foot.

Thursday night, Ella did not fall asleep until 10, thanks to the pre- beach excitement, I think. I still needed to pack for myself after bedtime, and it was so hard not to just go to sleep in her bed. She was so cuddly last night.

Friday - So far, I sent a bottle to Grandmother's with no liner (we use Platex Drop-ins) and Luke needed it for the morning nap because the cup still isn't good enough for naptime some days. She had to go to my house to get some liners. I've just been sending an empty bottle in case they need it because he drinks the majority of his milk from a cup now. Hopefully, the rest of the day will pass quickly and smoothly. I have to finish the packing and we'll load the car tonight after bedtime so we can leave first thing in the morning.

So, the bills are paid, my house is flea (and other bug) free, the dog is recovering, the cats are deflead for the month, the hot water is working, and I have a "new"old tooth that feels much better.

Who knew vacation was so much work? (I think I said that last year.)

2 comments:

  1. I use Comfortis on my dogs and never see any fleas any more, and they both used to be covered in them when I used Frontline. Comfortis now has a combination pill for fleas and heartworms in case you're interested in that. I've started using it and have been pleased so far. Also, Dawn dish soap (just the plain kind, nothing fancy) is the absolute best flea bath. You lather the dog, and the fleas just fall off in the rinse. Amazing. I used it once a month before I started the Comfortis regimen.

    Sounds like you had a busy week!. Have a fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, it's so funny that you mentioned Dawn because that's exactly what I used! It's also the best stain remover ever. For flea prevention, I bought Trifexis for Georgia. It's a new combo pill that prevents fleas, heartworms, and intestinal parasites. I refuse to torture myself by giving the cats a pill every month, so they are now getting Revolution.

    ReplyDelete