Tuesday, January 22, 2008

1 Pound

I went to the doctor last week and I have only gained one pound in the four weeks since my last appointment. This is very good because last time I got a mini-lecture about gaining too fast. Most days I look pregnant rather than just fat now, but there are still some days that I just look fat. I'm starting to get significant looks from those who don't know, so I know that I'm at least making people suspicious now. Last week, I was in a meeting and I would bet my life that the lady sitting next to me turned to the guy on the other side of her with her hand covering her mouth and said, "Is she pregnant?" and pointed! LOL! I almost laughed out loud. I find it entertaining to watch people speculate. One of the guys that I worked with in Australia is here this week, and I'm pretty sure he's been told that I'm pregnant because when I walked up to shake his hand this morning, he immediately looked at my belly. That's another amusing thing for me. As soon as you tell someone, they look at the belly. Every person does that without fail.

Enough with that ramble. At this doctor visit, I sacrificed 4 tubes of blood (not as bad as the pint I was imagining). It took three pokes to find the vein for some reason. Usually they get it on the first try. Luckily, it doesn't hurt me and there are no ill affects unless I happen to look a the needle if it's in or near my arm - then I faint. I learned that the hard way the first time I gave blood and looked down at my arm while the needle was still in there. The next thing I remember, a cute boy was picking me up off the floor.

The appointment was quick and easy. I asked some questions and he checked the heartbeat and that was that. The heartbeat sounded good, but I forgot to ask what the rate was this time. I go back in four weeks for the big ultrasound - that will be on Valentine's day.

I still haven't felt the baby move yet. Dave asked me the other night, "What does it do in there?" I explained that it's moving all the time, playing and testing it's new muscles and reflexes and entertaining itself. That it probably sleeps when I'm moving around and plays when I'm resting, I just can't feel any of it yet. He thought that was really cool. I plan to drink some sugar and caffiene before the ultrasound so it will be doing something cool while we are watching. I have to wonder if the animals can sense the baby moving. Georgia was sitting in my lap the other night and she suddenly moved over so tht she wasn't directly in my lap, but leaning on me. I wondered then if the baby did something to cause that. It was weird.

Speaking of Georgia, she had a rather traumatic afternoon yesterday. It started nicely with a trip to the football field to play football. Georgia LOVES football. Then some dogs came to play. They did fine at first, but one was a Border Collie, and like most Border Collies, it was very dominant. They got along fine, but Border Collie kept herding her when she fetched the ball. The last time she did it, she (the Border Collie) bit Georgia's tongue. I think it was accidental, but it was still traumatic. Now, tongue bleeds look way worse than they are, so I was trying to get her to rinse her mouth to I could see the wound. She barely did and it just kept bleeding. Once we got her home, she started licking her leg (I think she got into some ants on the field) and that made it bleed more. I had to put a towel under her, and I still ended up cleaning blood out of the carpet. Side note - peroxide works wonderfully on blood stains. Anyway, once she quit licking, it quit bleeding and she passed out from sheer exhaustion. She was already tired when the dogs got there to play, so she was really worn out. I didn't even have to tell her to kennel up this morning, and she didn't wait to make sure I got her cookie. Once I caught up with her, she was patiently waiting for me to lock her in.

On the cat front, Jewel did NOT enjoy the snow. She tiptoed through it with her back arched while it fell on her and the look on her face clearly said, "What the crap is this stuff?" I'll post snow pictures as soon as I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment