Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Update on the Phone Scam

What happened to us is called "Slamming." Here is a link to the FCC website that explains what to do if it happens to you: http://www.fcc.gov/slamming/ .

I spent another hour and a half on the phone with Bellsouth this morning because our phone was not working when I got up and checked it. Apparently the lady in Sales did not understand the problem when she said it would be taken care of by midnight. The man who said three weeks was right.

Maggie in the Porting department was very helpful in explaining what is happening and how I need to handle it, but none of it sounds good. Basically, our service was just switched and they are in the process our building our account over at Level III Communications, so Bellsouth cannot request to switch up back until Monday because they have to wait 72 hours. My options are: 1) contact Level III and get them to agree that they switched my service without my authorization and have them "snap back" my number to Bellsouth. This will expedite the process. If they do not agree (and they may not), then I move to option 2) wait until Monday and submit my request with Bellsouth to petition for my number, which will take about 3 weeks to go through the legal procedure. There is an option 3, and that is to create a new number with Bellsouth, but we don't want to do that since we just changed our number a couple of months ago and it's a PITA to redistribute the number. Besides, I should get to keep my number; it's the principle of the thing.

So that's where we stand right now. Dave is going to call Level III today and fight with them. That conversation is bound to be argumentative, and he will handle it much more rationally than me. :) Plus, he can speak some legalese to threaten them. Hopefully they will agree to snap back our number to Bellsouth and speed up this whole process.

I'm starting to wonder if we should just cancel our land line altogether and use our cell phones. I really don't want to do that, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment