Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lawyer Kids

I know that to become an actual lawyer you have to complete several years of extra schooling and pass a couple of tests. Dave and I lived through that together. However, I do think some people are born with certain personality traits that make them more suited to the profession.

I suspected that Dave was one of those people after spending several years debating with him, and after hearing the stories of how he used to argue with his mother until she was absolutely defeated. Now that I'm raising his children, I absolutely know this to be fact. I don't know if they will be lawyers, but they definitely have the personalities for it.

At the ripe old ages of 5 and almost 3, they already do a lot of hair-splitting, and I often have to award them points for a technicality when I didn't clearly state all of the boundaries of a situation.

Case in point - I have a rule about the front porch. They are allowed to walk around the brick wall like it's a balance beam, but they cannot step on the flowers. I don't know how many times I have said, "Don't step on my flowers!" They know this rule. Luke especially knows this rule because he is the main person I have to say it to - him and the dog.

Over the long weekend, I was standing at the kitchen sink and happened to look up and see this.

He wasn't stepping on the flowers.
After awarding him points for the technicality, I made him get off of the lantana and I clarified that he cannot sit on the flowers either.

Between these experiences and their willingness -  passion, even - to argue to the death (and I don't mean whining and repeating a request over and over again, I mean actual, rational, often very logical arguing), I find myself just shaking my head and walking away. They are just like their father in this way.

In fairness, my mothers would tell you that I have always been stubborn and willing to argue with a wall. I don't deny this fact; I'm passionate when I get my heart set on something. However, that is not the same thing as arguing just for the sake of arguing, or just for the fun of it. It's different than being able to disengage from the point at hand and swap sides just to keep the argument alive and trap your opponent with their own words, and that, people, is where Dave Roper is very, very good. I fear that in a few more years, these children will be arguing with the same skill.

You can't win an argument with any of these people, so I don't even try anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Carter Johnson to you. No joke. He has argued with me rationally every single day since he turned two and explained to me that he was a "big boy and no mo' die-puhs. pee in da potty". Which he actually did. Kid came out of diapers at 26 months on sheer want to. He's argued with me every single day since, winning about 70 % of the time. Lawyer, lobbyist, evangalist. And I pity anyone going up against him. It must be extra special having TWO of them in your house! :-)

    ReplyDelete