Friday, September 21, 2012

Around the House

More quotes to showcase their enthusiasm, development, and the truly deplorable state of my car. But first, a classic line from Dave.

"When you wear your glasses and use your work voice, you're kind of scary." - Dave, after watching me attend a conference call from home. My response? After a fit of laughter, "Good, that's what I want them to think."

One night when Luke was randomly pitiful with a 102 degree fever, Ella brought out her doctor kit and gave him an exam. Then she broke the bad news: "Luke has a two-eye virus." I was very concerned and asked her to elaborate, and she informed me that she didn't have anymore answers but she would call Children's Hospital to find out.

While on the phone with Grandmother one day, checking in on the hooligan shenanigans, I overheard Luke run into the room and announce: "Mess!" When Grandmother asked him, "What mess?" He led her to the playroom where she found a broken picture frame and shards of glass on the floor. Though I suspect he had something to do with the breaking of it, I was proud that he told Grandmother so she could clean it up.

"Mmmmm. I wuv Tool-Aid!" - Luke, when he saw me get the Kool-Aid pitcher out of the fridge. He wuvs me, too, a lot, these days - squishing his face to mine or squeezing me in a hug. I love the love and his enthusiasm.

"No way! I wanna tuddle!" - Luke, asking for a cuddle at bedtime when I gave up on getting him to be still and rolled over with my back to him. After he agreed to be still, I rolled back over to spoon him and he was knocked out in 30 seconds. It's just so hard to let go of the day at bedtime sometimes.

While working from home recently, I was sitting on the couch with my laptop and Luke was nestled in beside me with a book. I was instant messaging with a co-worker in India and we decided to have a phone conversation over the computer (think Skype without the video). The phone rang and I answered it, my coworker's voice came through the computer speakers, and both kids perked up, wanting to know who I was talking to. Luke was engrossed in my conversation for about two minutes, then he decided he needed me to pay attention to him again. He leaned toward the laptop and said to my coworker, "I'm readin' books! S'muse me!" It really is difficult to have a work conversation with kids in the house.

And finally, upon getting in the car one morning this week, Ella informed me, "It smells like stinking cheese in here." She was right. Interestingly, I finally tracked the stench back to her own carseat, though I have not the vaguest recollection of what she may have spilled in it to make it smell like stinking cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment